Just under three months after the last update, VideoLAN have released version 1.1.5 of VLC Media Player for Mac and Windows which is a minor release with a few interesting new features. Most notable is new channel integration with Channels.com bringing hundreds of new streaming channels to VLC Player such as Reuters News, ESPN and National Geographic.
To access them, just right-click or CMD-click on the VLC Playlist and select Services Discovery and Channels.com. Channels.com will then appear in your playlist. Click on it to reveal the the different categories of channels available:
Click on the category you want and a drop down list of all available channels appears:
Just click on the channel you want to watch and streaming should begin almost immediately:
VLC 1.1.5's list of improvements includes:
- 1000 Web-shows listing integrated inside VLC's playlist, provided by Channels.com
- New Game Music Emu (GME) support
- Windows SMB security issue - VideoLAN-SA-1006
- Major updates in translations, and new translations in Asturian, Armenian and Modern Greek
- Mac/Power-PC port fixed in 184.108.40.206
- live .webm streams support
- GPU HD decoding using Intel IGP on Windows, using DxVA2
- Miscellaneous fixes on all Interfaces, Demuxers and Decoders modules
- Codecs updates
The full changelog can be found here on the VideoLAN website.